[pct-l] First timer

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 20 20:31:12 CDT 2016

Where do you live and when are you going?  In the fall and early winter Aldha and Aldhawest put on Gatherings and Rucks. 2016 ALDHAWEST Gathering will be in northern Calif. There you can see gear and experience someone going through your pack.
I've worn out a few packs and also changed my mind on what I needed. Since I never buy anything else new(drive a 30 year old car and only get clothes at the thrift store)I don't care what the gear costs.
My opinion is to go as light as possible. But,be safe.
There are very useful gear lists on most people's hiking blogs. Pick someone of similar size and try on their packs at the store. Find a store that has thruhikers on the staff. Adventure 16 has a number. Backpackers usually think differently about what they choose for gear. Don't let someone load you up. The old suggestion about making 3 piles (1use every day,2sometimes,3rarely)and leaving 2 at home is still useful.
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone