[pct-l] MAP & COMPASS

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Apr 20 20:53:47 CDT 2016

Some folks say you don't need a map & compass on the PCT,...just follow the
trail and you can't get lost.
The trouble is people do get lost for various reason.

I never venture into the wilderness without a map & compass, including the
JMT, even though I have hiked the JMT often enough that I don't really need
a map to show me the way, although it is nice to know just where you are at
all times in the wilderness.

To me, the map & compass are more of a tool to show me the fastest way out
the wilderness if for some reason I do get lost or hurt and  have to get
of the
trail and back to civilization the fastest way.

That is when the map & compass are worth their weight in gold and may even
save your life.

If weight is the issue, leave a couple granola bars behind...it is not
going to
kill you.
Not having a map & compass when you need them, may kill you.

JMT Reinhold

---