[pct-l] First timer

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 16:09:58 CDT 2016

Hey Sabrina,

I agree, the first thing is not to buy gear, but try as much different
stuff as you can over the next year.  See what fits and what doesn't and
keep listening in on gear and pack discussions on line.  And for a shot at
really ultra light backpacking, Bryce is right, most of "the big three"
items we all use are not found at REI.  Lots of other stuff is, and they're
still my favorite toy store.  "The big three" are 1. shelter, 2. sleeping
bag and 3 backpack.  For these, a multitude of wonderful companies have
sprung up in the US, specifically catering to thru hikers, i.e.. ultra
light backpackers.  Nowhere else in the world do you have such a plethora
of great little companies producing something so specific, as we have
here.  These companies are all oriented toward our National Scenic Trails.
And that's because nowhere else on earth do you have so many thousands and
thousands of miles of safe, long distance, wilderness hiking available to
ordinary folks.  If you like wilderness and not having to deal with wars
and insurrections in the wild, this is the place.  We are truly blessed!
 Many foreigners know more about our National Scenic Trails than the
average American.   Enough pontificating, but I do love what we have.

Back to the big three.  For a recent talk I did at the Northern California
Camino Pilgrim Gathering and Blessing, I put together a list of the Ultra
Light Companies I could think of off the top of my head and I'll include it
at the end.  All that I have ever had dealings with have been very good
about taking anything back that you find doesn't fit right or doesn't live
up to your expectations.  So when you get ready to buy stuff, realize, that
it needs to feel right after you try it in the field, and if you've kept it
in good shape, they'll probably be good about a return.   I'll plug in the
list at the end.

As for me, I started the PCT with an Osprey Exos, a 2 lb pack that was
really comfortable.  The only problem was that it couldn't stand up to the
harshness of the deserts and the need to carry water.  By mile 500 or so,
it was falling apart.  I returned it to REI during a break in trail and
they were great about the exchange, and I put on a heftier Osprey, the
Atmos.  I liked it, but it was never as comfortable as the Exos had been.
It took me over the High Sierra in a big snow year and all the way to
Oregon.  Plain Slice, one of the folks I was walking with at the time, had
just bought a new ULA Circuit pack at Ashland and as we're the same size, I
asked to try it on.  It was love at first mile. I've still never found
another pack that fits me so well.  Where I had had to lean forward to
balance the Atmos, with the Circuit, I stood right up straight (that's
because the Ospreys have a very comfortable mesh suspension that gives nice
airflow across your back, but pushes the center of gravity a bit further
back, causing me at least to lean forward to counterbalance it.  The ULAs
are just a simple bag that lay up against your back, which is a bit
sweatier, but so much better for my posture overall.  And over the
thousands of miles, that's much more important)  We happened to have cel
service and I called Chris at ULA and had one shipped to Crater Lake a
couple of days later.

That pack has gone over 10,000 miles now and is still usable.  It was
starting to come apart on my hike of the AT 2 years ago and at Trail Days
in Damascus VA, I found a new one Circuit, which I bought, only to find
that the Osprey company had set up tents and brought their gear repair
people.  They were working on any piece of gear that needed repairs, from
any company.  What a great company!  They took that old Circuit and had it
overnight, and when I got it back the next day, it was like new again.
It's still a pack I use.  I kept the new Circuit for trips with my wife or
daughter, where I don't want my smelly old pack to offend anyone.  They do
get funky.

Well, this is way too much, so I'll just add the companies I know of.
There are probably many more, and Yogi's guide may list some of the others.

Good luck with all the planning and training!

Shroomer

*Companies Specializing in Ultralight Gear for *

*Long Distance Walking*

Enlightened Equipment - Down quilts and sleeping bags:
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com

ZPacks - Cuben Fiber Shelters, Cuben Fiber Backpacks, Quilts, Cuben Fiber
Rain Gear and much more:  http://www.zpacks.com

Dirty Girl Gaiters - Lightweight gaiters for running and hiking:
https://dirtygirlgaiters.com

Gossamer Gear - Cuben Fiber Shelters, Backpacks, Sleeping Pads, Trekking
Poles, Trekking Umbrellas and lots more gear:  http://gossamergear.com

Ultra Light Adventure Equipment (ULA) - Backpacks:
http://www.ula-equipment.com

Purple Rain Adventure Skirts - Hiking Skirts and Kilts:
http://www.purplerainskirts.com/about/

Tarptent, Henry Shires - Shelters:  http://www.tarptent.com/index.html

Six Moon Designs, Ron Moak - Backpacks, Shelters, Rain Gear and more:
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com

Mountain Laurel Designs - Cuben Fiber Backpacks, Cuben Fiber Shelters,
Quilts, Bivys:  http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/index.php

LightHeart Gear - Shelters, Clothing:  http://lightheartgear.com

Granite Gear - Backpacks:  http://www.granitegear.com

Western Mountaineering - Sleeping Bags, Down Clothing:
http://www.westernmountaineering.com

Mont Bell - Clothing, Down Clothing, Sleeping Bags, Backpacks, Shelters and
more:  http://www.montbell.us

Feathered Friends - Sleeping Bags, Down Clothes:
http://featheredfriends.com

For any questions, my contact information is: Scott “Shroomer” Williams,
email at:   Baidarker at gmail.com