[pct-l] Options for finishing Nor CA to Manning

Clint Tokash ctokash at comcast.net
Sat Aug 6 09:53:23 CDT 2016

Hi guys. Hoping to get feedback on this plan's feasibility.

I left the trail in early July at Bucks Lake (Northern CA) due to an unhappy
knee and am considering options for finishing my thru-hike as a flip-flop
starting Sept 1.

My plan is to fly into Seattle and take Amtrak to Stevens Pass. Hike
northbound to Manning, take a bus to Vancouver, bus or train to Seattle,
then Amtrak back to Stevens pass to finish my hike southbound. At 25 miles
per day, I think this will put me far enough south in September to avoid any
early winter storms in the Cascades.

Questions:

1. Would it be better to fly into Portland and start at Cascade Locks
northbound, then flip back there? It looks like Seattle transport is easier,
but I don't really know.

2. Do I need to be concerned about early winter storms (late Sept and Oct)
in Oregon and Northern CA?

3. Should I just forget the thru hike and finish next year starting
northbound from Bucks Lake in July?

~ Burrban