[pct-l] Options for finishing Nor CA to Manning

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 16:11:42 CDT 2016

All of this depends on your conditioning and experience.

The climb North from Interstate 90 will tell you how your knee is as will the subsequent descent.  Otherwise, this sounds complicated from a travel standpoint, at least to me. You may surprise yourself as to the miles you can do.

I’d be inclined to do all of Washington in one go, if only because its so beautiful that if you don’t finish you’ll have great memories.  If you do this, try not to get caught up in a group that will compromise your mileage.  You’ll be fully conditioned by then.  Absent snow, you could make good time through Oregon SoBo, or even take the train to Dunsmuire and hike NorBo from Castella. Oregon is where you can makeup the most miles, IMO.

Now ask yourself about your level of experience.  Can you handle snow? Navigation skills? Gear? Minimizing avalanche risks and extra calorie expenditure? Basically, are you prepared mentally?  Have you checked when resupply spots in Oregon close for the season?

As a note of caution, just to keep things real, check with Andrea Dinsmore about I’m Fine and his experience in the North Cascades a couple of years ago.

There are no guarantees about the weather. The Donner Party got stuck in October.  However, the trail is accessible as is the outside world from the trail.

Just a few thoughts.