[pct-l] First Post

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 09:53:32 CST 2016

As Pete notes above, in a high snow year the serious snow may begin as
early as the desert in the San Jacintos and continue through all the higher
southern mountains, long before coming to the High Sierra.  If you start
early in this El Nino year, which so far has the Sierra snow pack above
average (the skiing has been wonderful for the first time in 4 years) plan
to be flexible.  Either wait it out and let it melt out, or be OK with
jumping forward around some of the mountains and coming back to hike them
later.  March 7th is a very early start, even in a low snow year so plan
for real cold in the deserts.  The coldest sections we had in 2010 were in
the deserts and I was snowed on 3 times in the deserts.  The High Sierra
was over 4 weeks of living on snow most of the time.  It was the best part
of any hiking adventure any of us had ever had, but also the hardest hiking
we'd ever done.

On the CDT in 2012, we started very early for that hike, April 11th, and
killed time by hiking slowly across NM, getting off to come to the PCT Kick
Off, and generally waited for the snow in the San Juans to melt out.  We
hit it just right and by starting early were ahead of the monsoons.
However, several people 1 to 2 weeks ahead of us had to bail out and
backtrack due to heavy storms still pounding those mountains.  So if you
start early, plan to be flexible.  But realize, that March 7th is really,
really early if it's a normal to high snow year.

Shroomer