[pct-l] Herb's idea for headlight = excellent

jcil000-hiker at yahoo.com jcil000-hiker at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 4 14:18:53 CST 2016

Herb:
By keeping your headlight lower on your body as you suggested,you eliminate the interference of light with your eye sight. Having the lightclose to your eyes hampers vision and periphery vision. You tend to seethe light more than whats ahead of you.
Another aspect is that by keeping your light low, you can actually lookat another hiker face to face without him screaming at you that you're blinding him!
If you ever watch novice hikers at night, they're always beaming each otherin the eyes with their headlamps as they approach one another / talk.
I actually just met a former bike rider who told me that he used to do somethingsimilar while riding at night. He kept a light facing down on the pavement belowhim. He said it gave him more visibility for the cars & it sounded as if he was right.That was in addition to his standard handlebar headlight.
 Day Early