[pct-l] Sierra Food Strategy

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Sat Feb 13 19:29:20 CST 2016

Kurt,
Others with more experience will probably join in this thread, but my suggestion is to plan very conservatively. As Ned has said often, hiking on snow in the Sierra burns lots more calories than a normal hiking day. In 2010, our group left Lone Pine / Trail Pass with lots of food, then decided to bail out to Onion Valley for resupply. When we got back on, we went to VVR; the last morning before pick up by the "ferry", I was down to bacon and peanut butter, and not much of that. If there's not much snow when you go through, you can make Trail Pass to VVR with one can-full. But KM to VVR? That's pushing it. On a heavy snow pack, there's no way. Suncups will take 3 or 4 times as long to cross as a normal trail.

Good luck,
Mango