[pct-l] Desert Hiking Advice

Ed Jarrett edjarrett at msn.com
Tue Feb 16 21:10:51 CST 2016

I had my first encounter with desert hiking on the PCT a couple of years ago, doing Campo to Big Bear.  I left Campo on April 8th, a bit ahead of the main pack, but still with a bunch.  And I was mostly by myself while hiking, although did frequently camp with others and an occasional clump taking a break.  I was very apprehensive about desert hiking, but found that my fear of it was way overblown.  I did not find it as hot as northern California in July, although I did need to carry a bit more water.  I actually ended up enjoying the desert.

Ed Jarrett (Eeyore)Web site: http://aclayjar.netTwitter: https://twitter.com/EdJarrett53 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ed.jarrett.71