[pct-l] Sierra food strategy

gary_schenk at verizon.net gary_schenk at verizon.net
Wed Feb 17 09:11:16 CST 2016

 On 02/16/16, Matt Geis wrote:

...Another is to not use a bear can at that point (I picked mine up at TM in Yosemite), relying on food bag hanging (easier said than done for the unpracticed among us) and doing a hike-eat-hike-some-more strategy so cook smells are not near your camp...

Please note that although this gentleman was able to get away with hanging his food, this option is not viable. The bears in the California parks are quite adept at retrieving food hung in trees. You can also be ticketed for this. We (PCT hikers) get upset when dirt and mountain bikers flaunt the regulations of the trail, yet many of us flaunt fire and canister regulations. So it goes.

The purpose of the canister is not to protect your food from the bears, but to protect the bears from your food. Also, while perhaps an unintended consequence, it protects fellow hikers from human food habituated bears.

A fed bear is a dead bear. Rangers do NOT like shooting bears.

Gary