[pct-l] Opinion on shoes

James Vesely JVesely at sstinternational.com
Tue Feb 23 12:32:31 CST 2016

I have used them for years as well but on a hike last year in the Sierra's I found the soles not insoles to be too soft.

The trail crews in the Sierra's  are now repairing the trails with hand crushed jagged baseball size pieces of granite (mega gravel).   It almost made me wish I had my leather, ankle high clod stompers with rock hard soles on again.   The rock is very uncomfortable to walk on,  not only because of the sharp angles but because your foot tends to roll much more easily.     Fortunately, the rock is used mostly on steep slopes  where other trail material is not available (which at times can be significant distances).

Jim

I've used them for years on the PCT and CT.
A great shoe, BUT they have very little forefoot cushioning.
You'll need a GOOD insert if you expect to encounter a lot of rocky trail.