[pct-l] Packing for fears

James Vesely JVesely at sstinternational.com
Tue Feb 23 12:34:50 CST 2016

Is there anything for fear of getting old?

Subject: Re: [pct-l] Packing for fears

On 2/23/2016 11:18 AM, Alli wrote:
> Let's not be jerks. Packing bear spray does not make you a coward nor
> does it make you unintelligent. People have a right to different gear
> choices and if you disagree then keep it to yourself and HYOH.

I think you misunderstood.

"We pack for our fears" is a common phrase used here. We fear freezing at night, so we pack a sleeping bag. We fear starving, so we pack food.
We fear being rained on, so we pack a shelter. If you fear slipping in the snow, you pack traction devices.

If you had gone through my gear, you would have concluded that I feared sunburn, chapped lips, poison ivy, callouses on my heels and my fingernails growing too long.

It is what we all do. And it determines our pack weight.

It isn't an insult. It is just an observation.