[pct-l] Bear Spray /// Re: Pct-L Digest, Vol 98, Issue 21

Tim Umstead tumstead96 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 13:31:06 CST 2016

1. Bear spray is not needed.  That is all that has to be said.

2. My only experience with bear spray.

Last summer, on the third day of our thru-hike, we were heading up to Mt.
Laguna and we came to a nice resting place.  My son found a new bottle of
bear spray.  Somebody wanted to lighten their pack and left it on a log.
Well my son wanted to spray it and I though, why not.  I pointed him away
from us and he pulled the trigger.  It put out an orange mist.  He shot it
a second time.  I took the bottle from him and went over to let my daughter
give it a try.  That is when the wind shifted and I felt a burning in my
nose.  All of a sudden the whole family was running away from the area as
fast as we could.  Everyone had burning eyes, noses, and throats.  We did a
lot of coughing and gagging while we moaned, groaned, and laughed.  We used
water to wash out our mouths and get the taste out.

I guess that was not the brightest idea, but we all have vivid memories of
it.  And memories will last a life time.

Papa Raven