[pct-l] Rain Kilts vs Rain Pants

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 20:15:26 CST 2016

I like both for different reasons and conditions.  When it's cold, I much
prefer the rain pants since they can also be worn as an extra layer even
when it's not raining.  They also cover the bottom of your pants down to
your ankles.  When doing laundry in town, they work great as a second pair
of pants to wear.

Kilts are great in warmer weather as they allow more ventilation.  They are
easy to put on without having to worry about your shoes.  I own 2.  A long
ULA silnylon that goes down to my calves for use in high mountains and
cooler weather when I don't want the rain pants and a shorter zpacks cuben
fiber one that I mainly use in warmer weather to cover shorts.

For the PCT in 2009, I compromised between the two.  I brought a 3.5 oz
pair of windpants for warmth and protection against snow (snow doesn't
saturate clothing like rain) and light rain for most of the trail and added
the ULA rain skirt for Washington for extra protection.  It worked out but
I didn't deal with a lot of all day multi-day weather except for 2 days of
rain in N.Oregon and 4 days of off and on snow at the Canadian Border.

-Miner