[pct-l] PCT staying in touch

Michael Irving michaeljirving at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 13:00:36 CST 2016

The DeLorme is actually less expensive if you only use it 1 or 2 months per
year.  I found that about 6 months use in a given year is about the
break-point where it's better to just commit to the entire year as you can
get a break in monthly pricing and you don't have to pay to turn it on/off
when you want to stop getting billed.  Since I just committed to the entire
year, I also bring it along when I know I'm going on a trip in areas with
no cell service as a safety backup even when on car trips.

I also really like the option where you can send a message that will
generate an auto-reply with the multi-day weather forecast for the GPS
coordinates that you send the message from.  Very nice hiking peace of mind
when stuck in bad weather or a sense of bad weather approaching like
lightning and snow.

-GoalTech