[pct-l] PCT Oregon - Mosquitos

Jeffrey Olson jjolson58 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 10:24:08 CST 2016

Back in 1995 on a late June/early July section hike I stopped at Elk
Lake for a resupply.  As I lounged at a picnic table, making a garbage
pile, a troop of girls came out of the woods.  All of them had dozens
and dozens of big, red bites on exposed skin.  I talked with their
leader and she said they'd come out four days early because of the
mosquitos.

I'd spent the previous night at a lake and had to set up my tent and
dive into the skeeters were so thick.  I ate dinner while on a fast walk
around the lake, staying just ahead of the swarm.  The temperature was
mid-70s and a bit humid.  The world gets small when skeeters are thick
and voracious...

Jeff
Laramie, WY