[pct-l] Mosquitoes

Karl Ford earthford at aol.com
Mon Feb 29 12:34:34 CST 2016

Since I am nobo at Burney in late June this year, I know I haven't hit the worst of mosquitoes. BUT I thru-hiked the AT and also hiked alot of the CDT. Permethrin-treated clothing works really well for ticks (think AT) and also is effective for mosquitoes. I happen to be a toxicologist and the treated clothing does not pose any hazard to cats or waterways.  I don't like or trust DEET, but carry the 20-30% formulations to use very sparingly. Higher percentages have been proven by the military to be less effective. I agree with Luce that bathing with DEET slathered all over or use of any kind of soap (including Dr. Bronners) is a poor idea. I occasionally bathe, but without DEET on my body nor any soap. Best solution: cover up with treated clothes and wear a headnet and gloves.

Speed