[pct-l] Troublemakers

mgypsy97 at aol.com mgypsy97 at aol.com
Sun Jan 10 10:38:12 CST 2016

Maybe there is just too much coverage for these trails.  And the constant contact with the outside world gives the troublemakers gratification because their behavior is quickly known by hundreds of thousands of people.

I attempted an AT thru hike in 1997 and although there were a lot of hikers out there, I don't recall many (if any) hard core troublemakers.  The hiking community could take care of them quickly.  No one I knew carried a cell phone, GPS, or any smart devices.  I think there were a few weekend hikers, boy scout leaders, etc., who had cell phones; the trail grapevine kept us pretty well informed of what was happening, but it wasn't publicized off the trail so there wasn't the gratification and encouragement for the troublemakers.  And maybe those who would cause trouble just weren't drawn to the trail because there wasn't so much instant publicity for them.  There were the weekend locals who would bring their beer and whatever onto the trail near road crossings with parking areas, but they didn't go rampaging through towns, hostels, etc.

I don't see an end to the problems, nor much of a remedy.

Gypsy