[pct-l] Echo Chalet no longer a resupply point

Erin O batsandbears at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 10:58:00 CST 2016

My partner and I walked the PCT in 2013. I remember stopping at Echo
resort. We had planned to stay there but they declined to take us. They
said that it was because it was a drought year and did not have sufficient
water and were closing their cabins. They did not have 'free' water for
hikers either. They did have the best small grocery store on the trail!
(You could tell that they catered to very wealthy vacationers.)

There was a group of very dirty and very drunk hikers lounging in front of
the store the day that we were there. They were discussing penis extensions
in graphic language. Families with small children were going into the store
to buy ice cream and groceries and they could easily overhear really gross
and vulgar talk. I was embarrassed and ashamed.

I don't know if the cabins were not available because of the drought or if
that was a polite excuse; but after witnessing the behavior of my fellow
hikers I wanted to distance myself as far as I could from the situation. I
don't blame any business that does not want to deal with hikers anymore.
Hopefully when the resources dry up the mass of entitled, obnoxious people
will go with it.

Erin