[pct-l] Crampons

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Jan 11 21:40:37 CST 2016

Scott and Peter, thank you!

All that Scott said testifies to how the particular items he used on three thru hikes worked well for him. I’m not so much a trailrunner fan, because of the weight I must carry as an instructor and probably somewhat weak ankles, thus the leather boots, but for those reasons they work well for me. So you have both sides of the coin. Now, you must take many smaller hikes in the same conditions you expect to be in on the PCT and decide for yourself what “works” for you!

I love our Kahtoola hiking crampons, whether the KTS in aluminum or steel or the K-10, both types work perfectly, predictably, reliably, and are virtually indestructible (I’ve been using mine for the last 5 years, and you know I’m out there for 180 days on snow!).

My feet do not get wet unless I’m crossing a creek, and I’m in stiff, heavy, traditional leather boots. Keeping them sealed on the outside, oiled on the inside, and dried out after creek crossings has caused them to last the same 5 years! I don’t think trailrunners can say the same. Let’s see, that would be about 30 months of both summer and winter trails. Not bad! After crossing a creek, all I do is pour out the water, put on my socks, and walk them dry. If my socks get wet in the process, I change them and hang the wet ones on the back of my pack to dry. Easy.

Any questions?

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org