[pct-l] Best thru hike umbrella ?

Tim Umstead tumstead96 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 22:52:14 CST 2016

I have used the Chrom Domes for years and love them.  On last years PCT
Thru-hike all four of us carried them.  When we lost one and had to replace
it, we ordered the new one from Gossamer Gear.  It is the same umbrella.
The only difference is labeling.  Gossamer Gear and GoLite got the umbrella
from the same source, a place in Germany I think, called Swing Liteflex.

http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/liteflex/info.cgi?session=97WCxB3SIAFbr&sprache_land=usa

Now there are quite a few companies selling the same umbrella.

Now, after using this umbrella for a thru-hike I would like to find one
with just one or two more inches diameter.  It worked great for the kids
and my wife, but I would have liked a bit more coverage when it was raining
all day long.

A comment on Frogg Troggs.  I have use them for almost 20 years.  They
work.  Yes I wish they were longer.  Couple a Frogg Trogg with an umbrella
and you will be dry from the waist up.  Please note: do not dry them on
high heat in the dryer, they can melt on the hot metal.

One more topic that has not come up, rain skirts.  None of the four of us
have ever used a rain skirts.  While hiking through last May's rains in
southern California and we saw several other thru-hikers wearing cuban
fiber rain skirts.  I saw that the velcro on the skirts was pulling open as
they hiked and their legs were getting soaked.  Yet we still thought that
it was a good idea.  So instead of forking out $60 per a person we went
with a cheaper solution that worked just as good and was just as light,
54g, trash compactor bags.  Many thru-hikers gearing up for a thur-hike
have already bought trash compactor bags to line the inside of their packs
in rainy conditions.  So you have already bought them, just re-purpose the
bags.  You must use trash compactor bags that have a draw cord at the top.
Then just cut the bottom open.  Done.  Instant rain skirt.  They look a
little weird but you do stay dry and you can mail yourself replacement ones
in your food boxes or have them in your bump box.  One drop back, they do
confine your stride a bit, but not much.  I think the cuban fiber skirts
also confine your stride, that is why they put in the velcro.  But opening
on the velcro will just get your legs wetter, so the choice is yours.

The Ravens
PCT 96, 15