[pct-l] Solar charger

Tim Umstead tumstead96 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 12:40:30 CST 2016

On last summers thru hike we use an Anket 6k external battery. I had two
cell phones, four mp3 players, a camera, and a tablet to keep charged. The
single external battery did the job just fine. I never ran it dry. Under
normal usage I had to charge the mp3 players and maybe a phone or the
camera. On some of the longer sections I needed to also partially charger
the tablet. I never ran out of power.

I know of several thru hikers who stated out with solar panels and switched
to external batteries. They found that they it took to long to charge their
phones. This was especially a problem farther north where the trees shaded
their panels as they hike and they could not get the full power of the sun.

Take an external battery and skip the solar panel.

The Ravens