[pct-l] Sierra Mosquitos

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 09:30:51 CDT 2016

I started my section hike in Tuolumne.  I didn't think the Mosquitoes were
too bad except for about 14 miles south of Dorothy Pass.  This is a
relatively flat section but it is completely flooded by the melting snow
from the mountains on the east and west.  Mosquitoes are numerous.  I
treated all my clothing with Permethrin before I left.  This kept most away
but I had a couple mosquitoes bite on my Permethrin treated clothing.  But
the vast majority stayed away.  I hiked this area with my zipped off hiking
pants and had DEET on my lower legs.  The many stream crossings before this
section washed away some of the DEET and I didn't reapply so I had a few
bites on my legs.  I wore a mosquito head net and hundreds of mosquitoes
clung to my head net trying to get in.  It was quite a dramatic display.

Good luck, need protection in this area.