[pct-l] Chimney Fire

Gary Schenk gary_schenk at verizon.net
Fri Jun 3 09:05:09 CDT 2016

http://www.pcta.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Chimney-Fire-PCT-6.2.16.jpg

Yes, lots of illegal fire rings on the PCT nowadays. I see fire rings in places were only people hiking on the PCT would camp. Still, we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that drunken AT knuckleheads coming out to the PCT expecting to have a campfire every night start these blazes.

Not everyone using an alcohol stove is careless. A couple of years ago at Snow Lake in Oregon I watched Peanutbutter Platypus carefully clear an area and then make a small trench around her alcohol stove before making her dinner. That's the way to do it.

Over Memorial Day we hiked from Kennedy Meadows and out over Olancha Pass. It's amazing that 40 years later trees have yet to make a comeback from the Clover fire. Same with the Manter fire, those trees are not coming back until we get another ice age.

Kennedy Meadows Store deck is full of hikers. Two weekends ago on the trail up to Baden-Powell you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a thruhiker. It's overwhelming. Let's hope they are all careful with fire.

This puts a big blank spot on the trail. With the trail, Nine Mile Road and Canebreak Road closed along with Sherman Pass still closed, that's going to be one tough spot to get around on foot.

Gary