[pct-l] Chimney Fire

TBrokaw at montmush.com TBrokaw at montmush.com
Fri Jun 3 10:49:16 CDT 2016

We don't yet know what (or who) caused it.  But we do need to get illegal
& unsafe stoves off the trail!!!  Everybody hates rules.  But we only have
them because we refuse to do the right thing.  We hikers should politely
but firmly deal with these situations on the trail when we see them.
Regardless of how careful someone is with an alcohol stove, they are
illegal on some parts of the trail.  And for good reason.  I watched a
fellow hiker last year struggle to put out his alcohol stove when finished
cooking lunch.  He was not able to shut it down & eventually it just
burned itself out.  Worse still, he was burning carburator cleaner since
he was unable to purchase alcohol.  This incident occured in a tiny
clearing surrounded by heavy manzanita.  I hate to think what a hot fire
that could have been!
This trail & the wonderful wilderness it passes through deserve a little
more TLC from all of us.

Tom Brokaw
Corporate Project Manager
Monterey Mushrooms