[pct-l] FW: Chimney Fire

Mel Tungate mel at tungate.com
Fri Jun 3 14:31:02 CDT 2016

URL for the fire report is http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4757/

The fire was at the entrance to the Chimney Creek campground literally feet from the PCT.  It is listed now as man caused.  What that man ( or woman ) was, or how it was started, is unknown.  The trail itself is not damaged from eye witness reports.

The PCT is closed from 652 to 702 ( Walkers Pass to KM ).  BLM is enforcing that, and will escort you out ( or worse ).  They escorted those already on the trail out day 1.

Those who have been to the campground before ( some many times each year ) say that hikers are not the only ones there, but are the majority of those there, maybe even the vast majority.  That does not mean it was a hiker this time - again, not known.

9 mile road was closed for two days.  It is now open for local traffic and emergency vehicles.  The fire is basically not growing, but they are still working on hot spots.  They expect to open 9 mile road to all traffic early next week.

Mel