[pct-l] first time tent buyer

Jennifer Zimmerman jenniferlzim at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 17:06:03 CDT 2016

Hi Marilyn -

I'll vouch for the Haven tarp and net tent combo from Six Moon Designs.  We
used this setup on our PCT hike and it worked very well.  We cowboy camped
until Muir Pass, then used the net tent alone for the rest of the trip
except for the few nights when weather warranted the tarp too. Having the
net and tarp separate also meant we could split the weight nearly in half
between the two of us. It used our hiking poles and was very quick and easy
to set up.

My only (minor) complaint is that the zipper sliders on the net tent were
not "zipping" by the very end of our hike, but I've heard this is not
uncommon with UL zippers.  Thruhikes are rough on  gear. It's a minor
project to replace them if you have access to a sewing machine.

I would highly recommend that you look for a tent with two side doors, as
with the Haven and the BA Copper Spur recommended earlier.  IMHO this is a
matter of sanity and not just convenience.  It was also important to me
that I was able to sit up on my sleeping pad with plenty of room to spare.
Other brands to look at are Tarptent and Mountain Laurel Designs. Happy
hiking!

Best,
JZ