[pct-l] Shoe size

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sat Jun 4 16:14:49 CDT 2016

+1 yes

+2 no, unless you know from experience that you'll need it. Too big is as
bad as too tight.

The reason for the larger size is to accommodate any foot swelling that may
occur, especially through the hotter sections of southern CA. The extra
space also relieves some friction between your feet and the sides of your
shoes. Personally, I buy my hiking shoes in my normal everyday size, but
insist on a WIDE version. If a wide is not available in my chosen model, I
go to a model that does. Merrell Moab Ventilators come in a wide and breathe
superbly and dry fast after crossing streams. I just change socks
afterwards, letting the stream rinse my current socks perhaps well ahead of
my planned rinse. Flexibility is key to long distance hiking. The downside
is reduced protection for the forefoot area, but good after-market insoles
(Merrell's suck) can improve that.

One of your best blister prevention techniques is to change socks
religiously during the day. Dirty socks have moisture, fine grit and oils
that facilitate friction and thereby blisters. Clean dry socks do not.

Decades of experience have taught me to change my socks every 2 hours if I'm
primarily on level or ascending terrain; every hour if going mostly downhill
(more foot slippage and friction). I always carry at least three pair of
socks - one being worn, one spare for periodic changes, and one for sleeping
only. In a pinch, the sleeping socks get demoted, but only until  I can get
a new pair. Whenever possible, rinse your socks, wring dry, and hang to dry
on your pack as you walk. Lacking a rinse, just hang the damp socks on the
pack to dry. At least every other day - preferably daily, wash your socks in
warm water and a bit of soap. Rinse well and hang to dry. Your feet will
thank you.

Wandering Bob