[pct-l] Metatarsal issues

Jay Bruins jbruins at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 02:30:44 CDT 2016

I'd recommend seeing a doctor to get a better understanding of what's going on.

Barring that, consider reading Fixing Your Feet. I bought the kindle version on the trail and self-diagnosed bunions (I later cross referenced with a physical therapist who agreed). The recommended exercises were really helpful.

Independent of the above, I'd buy your next shoes from a high end running shop. The owner of mine is a pedorthist. Having shoes and insoles that fit makes a significant difference. I tried super feet, but like soles better because of the wider arches. Being able to try both brands with different heights of arch support was helpful to allow me to learn that. It also turned out I needed more arch support. The shoes I ended up in based on the feedback I got (Adrenaline ASRs) are so good I wear them all the time even off the trail despite the fact that they're puke ("avocado") green.

The stiffness of my insoles in these shoes really protect my feet. Whenever I find myself wearing other footwear, I soon regret it when foot pain comes back.

I'm really not sure how I ever made it through life without owning an expertly fitted shoe.

Go find yours!

Armstrong

PS I agree with Shroomer, shoes are personal. Please don't focus on my experiences, but I will share them. I tried Moabs in Oregon. Aside from bad laces (yay hiker boxes!), they are a great boot for <15 mile days. Around 18 miles, my feet would hurt and by 22 I had to stop. When I switched back to the Brooks ASRs, my average mileage quickly rose to 26 with no issues.
PPS When I developed a stress fracture in a metatarsal, the podiatrist I saw gave a giant eye roll when he tried flexing the Cascadia 10s I was in: no where near his recommended level of support, but I had some miles in them by that point.