[pct-l] Calling all Meteorologists, Prophets, and Pychics

Mike Belanger mikes4b22 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 1 06:48:04 CST 2016

Does anyone have a clue what the water resources and trail conditions were like on the PCT the years of 1982/83 or '97/98 during El Nino, generally for Southern and Northern California in March-April, and specifically as it relates to late snow storms, flooding and fording, stressed water sources, obvious landslides, water logged tree limps etc. Even a brief synopsis on these worst-case events would be appreciated.Did anyone complete the trail? Well yeah, obv's. But could a noob like me take it on? I'm visualizing something like Lt. Dan on Gump's boat during the hurricane, but you know, with a backpack and poncho on. And...well, both of my legs....Any specific preparations I should include besides the usual rain gear, sunbrella, whippet, and crampons?I probably have no idea what I'm talking about here but let's hope someone here can help us out.My understanding of El Ninos is that they are warm and wet. Meaning the they hammer the west with cold precipitation from Alaska in the late fall/early winter with a lull somewhere in the middle of winter (February/March). Then the Pineapple Express comes through and dumps cold rain and wet snow well into May. This is good news for the water-stressed states but bad news for us hikers. Someone please help straighten me out! And I know we have to wait and see, but worry is just what I do best!