[pct-l] Pants

David Money Harris David_Harris at hmc.edu
Mon Mar 14 11:07:38 CDT 2016

Lylli,

I wore REI Sahara convertible pants.  I’ve been wearing them for more than a decade and love them — they are light, keep the wind off, and keep me warm enough while hiking on chilly summer Sierra mornings while keeping the sun off me in the desert. Although they are convertible, I almost never zipped off the leggings.

A few years ago while visiting Egypt, I observed that the locals completely cover in loose garments even though it is very hot.  I took the theory to heart and hike in light loose long sleeves and pants and a wide hat everywhere on the PCT, both in the hot desert and cool mountains.  It’s worked great — I thought I’d be too hot, but was actually remarkably comfortable.  I also get about a month out of a 1 oz tube of SPF 50 sunscreen because it only goes on my nose and the backs of my hands, and I never burned on the trail.

David

Hi all-

What do people suggest for pants? Bring pants? Don't bring pants? If pants,
what kind? I'm thinking of just bringing an extra pair of long johns,
because that's what I like to wear, and usually don't get that cold on my
legs. But I have no real experience with very high elevation such as the
High Sierra (I'm from Seattle- done most of my long trips in the North
Cascades). For reference, I'm a petite female, so I do run cold a lot of
the time, but mostly when I'm not moving, which will be mostly when I'm in
my sleeping bag since I'm planning a fairly high mileage/day trip. I feel a
little silly that this is a dilemma of real importance to me- but so it
goes.

Thanks!