[pct-l] Heights

Tom Grundy caver456 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 14:53:24 CDT 2016

We went on the Kepler Track about 10 years ago.  The hut warden on night
one said "you folks are lucky, the walkers yesterday had to deal with 80
mph wind and snow just below freezing."  I asked if anyone had been blown
off that trail and she said "Of course."  Interesting.  She mentioned that
most folks crawled in high wind.  We lucked out and got mixed clouds with
probably 30mph gusts most of the day but not quite bad enough to crawl.
The trail is mostly nice and wide with thick tussocks of grass on the
slopes so the 'numbers' were very low.  Seems like it got a lot more
interesting when the ridge curves south and you are perpendicular to the
wind, with the metal stairs atop the ridgeline.