[pct-l] Heights

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Mar 15 22:20:05 CDT 2016

Thanks, Brick!

Tools, whether an ice axe, a Whippet, Kahtoola K-10 hiking crampons, or even
a compass will do you zero good if you haven't a clue how to use them. That
should be common sense, but countless people every year do exactly what you
guys are talking about, saying "I'm going to learn along the way!"

Our students, when they first learn how to self-arrest, often declare, "I
don't know how people can say that they learned how to do this from watching
a YouTube video!"

As someone said, go up to your local ski area and ask the ski school or
patrol if someone can go outside with you and show you how to self-arrest.
Now, they might not know, either, but at least you tried. Otherwise, please
take a skills course so you don't suddenly find yourself faced with
Forester's ice chute unprepared with your life in your hands far from help!

For all of you going NoBo, we do provide snow skills instruction right on
the trail for the 5 days between Cottonwood Pass and Kearsarge Pass.
http://mountaineducation.org/5-day-snow-advanced-course-pct-thru-hiker-cottonwood-to-kearsarge/

For all of you going SoBo, we are considering providing again this year the
same type of snow skills instructional course between Harts Pass and M78 and
back for 5 days. If you are interested in attending this advanced snow
skills course taught right on the trail when you first start you hikes while
running into steep snow in July, just let us know with an email response!

On that subject, this is becoming a "normal" winter or more in the North
Cascades. That means do not consider starting SoBo until July 4th or so. If
the winter continues to develop into a "heavy" winter, do not start until
August 1st.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org

Mission:
"To minimize wilderness accidents, injury, and illness in order to maximize
wilderness enjoyment, safety, and personal growth, all through experiential
education and risk awareness training."