[pct-l] Acid reflex

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 20:46:09 CDT 2016

I have a very dear cycling friend who has this condition.  I hate to say
this but you will have to manage this for the rest of your life.  Doctors
want to limit those long lasting acid reflux medications as for some
reason, they can cause Alzheimer's if used every day.  I think 2 a week are
okay but check with your doctor.  My friend only eats very bland foods, no
spices, garlic, cheese, sauces etc.  Often, when we are in the middle of
cycling up a long steep hill, his acid reflux will act up.  We stop (that's
what friends are for), he takes his tums, rest a bit and then we continue.
He'll take a Prilosec (or whatever) once or twice a week and he says he
feels GREAT the day after.  Otherwise, he has to manage with tums, lots of
tums!  His acid reflux often keeps him awake at night.  Your doctor can
probably prescribe something for that.

As we age, we all seem to acquire medical conditions that we have to live
with.  I would list mine but I would just bore you and the point is, we
have to do the best with what we've got for as long as we can.
Fortunately, we have medications now to make our lives more comfortable as
we age.

Getting old is better than the alternative!

Diet Plan