[pct-l] San Jacinto Fuller Ridge

Cox Mail allen.swanson at cox.net
Mon Mar 21 22:34:24 CDT 2016

I think I can answer my own question now. Matt and Cody from Australia did it Friday up Deer Springs trail without crampons using the halfmile app for guidance. They were followed on Saturday by Chad "Lost Hiker" Freeman up Devils Slide with crampons, a paper map from the library, and good trail sense. He post holed a bunch and slipped a few times but succeed in staying mostly on trail while observing that Matt and Cody fell a lot and wandered around quite a bit (which assessment Matt concurs with). Justin followed Chad with those chain like ice grippers without spikes. He says that he's a bit insane for doing it and that he would not ever do it again. He was thankful for Chad's big impressions.

All succeeded crossing Fuller Ridge, while I chose the least challenging route, Black Mountain alternate. Some snow. Mostly easy and very safe.

Hikingsolo