[pct-l] Cooking System and Fuel

David Money Harris David_Harris at hmc.edu
Thu Mar 31 12:55:37 CDT 2016

I’ve tried the Jetboil, Jetboil Sol Titanium, and MSR Pocket Rocket.

I love the Jetboil and use it car camping all the time.  It cooks faster than anything else out there, and uses less fuel.  However, it is too heavy for ultralight backpacking.

I tried and returned the Jetboil Sol.  It was a few ounces lighter but the light-weight pot didn’t distribute heat very evenly, making it too easy to burn the food.  It was also still heavier than I wanted for the PCT.  I see it is no longer on the market.

I carry the MSR Pocket Rocket on the PCT.  It takes a little bit more time and fuel than the Jetboil, but is extremely light and convenient.  I’ve been very satisfied with it.  I can do a 5-day leg between resupplies on the lightest fuel canister boiling water for each dinner and some breakfasts. I don’t think there’s a lighter solution available that is legal for use under California fire restrictions.

David

Message: 6