[pct-l] Tons of questions

Marcus pctl at marcusschwartz.com
Fri Mar 25 18:05:42 CDT 2016

Hi PCT-L,

I'm planning my 2016 thru-hike, and I've got a slew of questions.  It
will be my first, and I think I have it planned out reasonably well, but
there are several things that I've had trouble finding out online.  Some
are about PCT logistics, some are about backpacking in general.
Apologies for the large number of questions, but I'd appreciate answers
to any of them.

Most of my backpacking experience is weekend trips to Henry W Coe Park
in California, though I've thru-hiked the JMT, and also a PCT section
from Ashland to Seiad Valley.  But, I've never been out longer than 13
days, and I've never gone more than 7 days without resupplying.

So here's the slew of questions:

1. On the JMT, it seemed like MTR was the obvious place to resupply,
since it's the last point (southbound) that's close to the trail, until
Whitney Portal / Lone Pine.  But, it seems like most PCT thru-hikers
skip MTR and resupply at VVR or Red's Meadow, making that long stretch a
couple days longer.  Why?  Or am I wrong about PCT hikers skipping MTR?

2. I've never hitchhiked before.  Is there any etiquette I should know
about, e.g. are hitchhikers expected to pay for gas?

3. Is it usually easy to get change for a coin shower, or should I carry
quarters?

4. Resupplying at Walker Pass on 178 seems really hard, but necessary if
I'm going to avoid 7+ days between resupplies.  I've looked at a few
options, and none look very good:  Getting friends/family to pick me up
(they live far away), taking the Kern County bus (it runs infrequently),
arranging taxi ride (very expensive), or hitchhiking (I think it's a
fast, little-used stretch of highway?).  Are there any options I overlooked?

5. Does leaving the rain fly off of a double-wall tent cause, or prevent
condensation?

6. If you mail a resupply package or bounce box for general delivery,
but aren't able to pick it up, what happens?  E.g. suppose my bounce box
gets held up in the mail, and I'm days past the post office by the time
it's finally delivered?  And, what if the destination is not a post office?

7. On the Class of 2006 PCT DVD, it looked like people might've been
carrying bear cans in their packs in Washington (at least, it looked
like there was something large and cylindrical inside their packs).  I
was under the impression that people normally carry bear cans only from
Kennedy Meadows to Sonora Pass.  Are they necessary (or realistically
advisable) anywhere else?

8. In areas where bear cans aren't required, do people do bear bag
hangs?  If so, for the whole trail, or only certain sections?  Which?

9. Is it possible to rent microspikes or crampons?  I don't have any
plans to use them beyond this trip, so I'd rather not buy them.  But, I
haven't been able to find any sites that rent them by mail, like how you
can rent bear cans.

10. I've read advice that you don't really need more raingear than a
poncho, because your legs can get cold with no problems, and your feet
will get wet no matter what you do.  So, I tried to test this during a
rainstorm a few weeks ago, by hiking about 4 hours in a DriDucks poncho
and REI Sahara outfit, with a loaded backpack.  I got sick, and am still
coughing.  It rained about an inch, the temperature was in the high 40s
F, and wind gusts were about 50MPH.  What should I have done differently
to handle that kind of weather?  Used more insulation under the poncho?
Added rain pants or high gaiters?  Stayed home?

11. The 2014 PCT DVD shows what looks like an abandoned wrecking ball at
Sunrise Trailhead.  Does anyone know the story behind that?  There's
also an abandoned wrecking ball in Henry W Coe Park -- are wrecking
balls in the wilderness a thing??

Thanks again, I'd appreciate answers to any of the above.

 -=Marcus