[pct-l] Bear Canister requirement after Sonora Pass

Luce Cruz lucecruz13 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 19:11:30 CDT 2016

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 5:37 PM, JOSEPH LAFLAMME <jalaflamme at msn.com> wrote:

> A good alternative is a Ursack.  They make a Kevlar bag which when
> combined with odor proof bags is significant lighter than a bear canister.
>  It has received IGBC certification.  Their website is www.ursack.com

I think it's definitely worth mentioning that a sack will not keep your
food from being destroyed if a bear gets a hold of it. A can used properly
is more robust against a hungry bear trying to get at your food.

I appreciate the desire to hike light as possible, but personally, I'm
siding with the bears and not getting one killed whenever possible. Of
course, YMMV.

--
Luce Cruz