[pct-l] Solo female hiking advice

Sarah Spergel sjspergel at gmail.com
Thu May 5 12:32:01 CDT 2016

Hi Erin,
I'm a young woman with some solo trek experiences. In general, I have found
that people are wonderful and maybe even more helpful because I am
traveling alone. I think the same safety advice as with all hikers
applies--ex: don't camp near roads, trust your gut, tell skeevy people
asking questions that you have a friend coming up behind you. A hiker by
the name of Happy Jo once suggested that while hitching, I tell potential
drivers that I have a male friend coming too and watching for the driver's
reaction. I never tried this--not sure how I'd backtrack :) On the CDT
outside Butte, I met a woman who was a retired military officer and did a
lot of trail maintenance. She suggested that I bring bear spray, "not for
the bears but for the men!" Again, never tried this. I tend to grip my tiny
pocket knife when nervous, for comfort more than anything  else. Knowing
basic self-defense might help you sleep better at night. For me, the first
few nights were unnerving and now I find that I sleep better while alone. I
imagine there'll be enough hikers in Oregon in mid-July that you could find
others to camp and hitch with if you wanted too. Let me know if you have
other questions!
Best,
Hatchet