[pct-l] Solo female hiking advice...

sarah estrella skestrella at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 5 15:05:36 CDT 2016

Hi Erin,I completely understand about the nights! I was there once too. You will probably just have to let your body get comfortable sleeping outside alone and used to the night noises. It took me about 2 and a half weeks of sleepless nights the first time I did a long solo hike. Now I sleep like a baby.
One thing I often carry is a small high-lumen flashlight with a strobe option. When the strobe is deployed, it's blinding and disorienting to another person (I have never used it for that purpose). It was also handy one night when someone was looking for a lost hiker as the beam carried quite far (they were located). It should have lower-lumen settings too so it's your backup light as well.  I bought it at a law-enforcement store, but you could look on line. That's as far as I go for "protection".
I also sometimes "hide" at night. If I'm worried, I find a campsite that's not visible from a trail or road. Remember though that your tent may have reflective things on it that people could see with a light.
Have fun!
FreeRange
  <Hello -

<I'm planning a solo trek across the Oregon PCT this summer mid-July. I'm a young female and I'm a little   concerned about how I'll do a night.

<Do any females with solo trip experience have any advice for me? Or any advice on what kind of protection to bring? This will be my first solo backpacking trek :)

<Thanks! Erin