[pct-l] Food for trail

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Sun May 8 14:08:28 CDT 2016

It bears repeating. Real food --that means whole grains,beans,lentils  nuts, dried fruit and dried veg without added sugar or additives gives you nutrition. Many hikers eat such junk that they have to carry more food because there is so little nutrition(the vitamins and minerals that allow one to use the foods you ingest) that they are always hungry.  I am not always hungry  My food weight is about 1 1/2 lbs per day.  I eat macadamia nuts pecans walnuts --food that contain fats inside not separate from the actual food. I don't mean I don't get hungry. But I'm not depleted ,sick and depressed by the end of a trail. The only time that happened to me was on the Arizona Trail when I made the decision to resupply with pasta/rice sides like the rest of the hikers cause I was tired of trying to hit POs at the right hours   Bad  mistake. Thank goodness for the huge health food store in Flagstaff. Buckwheat noodles/whole grain pasta mixed with organic dried veg and sauce for dinner.  Tahini (with lemon,garlic and spices )or humus for lunch with crackers or organic taco shells. Organic dried fruit mixed with nuts for breakfast. Soy or mushroom jerky for snacks. Pamela's cookies(gluten free even though I don't need that) Everything I carry gives me energy --not takes it away. Some of the food hikers carry takes more out of your body to process it than it gives you. You are a serious athlete. Treat yourself like you are one
When I hit town the first thing I do is fill up on fresh food---salads, fruit. Then if I'm still hungry I'll eat whatever. But if you fill up with junk first you won't be restoring yourself with what you need.  That causes injury and depression. Which means you might not finish the trail you wanted to do. All calories are not equal.
Many hikers make it to the end eating junk but why make it harder on yourself than you need. I would rather skip staying in a few motels and spend the money on food and postage   It does me more good
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone