[pct-l] Dehydrated Meals

TBrokaw at montmush.com TBrokaw at montmush.com
Mon May 9 11:27:03 CDT 2016

Great tips here from everyone.  I would add a couple of suggestions.  I've
been section hiking also, so I have an opportunity to learn & make
adjustments each year.  You can make a pot cozy for almost no cost using
heat reflective bubble wrap & duct tape.  Sacrifice an old windshield heat
reflector or purchase new material from a hardware store for about $1.
With this, you can cook pasta.  It will also conserve fuel thus saving
pack weight.  Bring your pasta to a boil then put the pot in your cozy for
another 15 min. to finish cooking.  My first year, I supplied myself with
way too much food since many sources suggested 3,000-5,000 calories per
day needed.  What I didn't realize is that this is not needed for the
first few weeks.  Also, I found it hard to eat much in the desert.  So,
you don't need to plan for so much food until the Sierras.    I also found
it slightly inconvenient to wait for re-supply places to open.  I lost a
package at Paradise Cafe since they closed early on the day I passed by.
This was understandable since it was Easter Sunday.  I didn't miss the
food much but did miss my printed maps that were also in the box.  The
following year, I decided to shop more along the way to be more flexible.
One further point, I suggest providing some sort of electrolyte supplement
for the desert.  I felt nauseated after long days in the heat despite
plenty of water.  Since I live & train in a cooler climate, water is
normally sufficient for me.  But after several days of profuse sweating,
your electrolytes can get pretty depleted.  Good luck & have a fantastic
time.

Barista

Tom Brokaw
Corporate Project Manager