[pct-l] Renting vs Buying

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Sun May 15 11:53:32 CDT 2016

Maybe you could give a bit more info. How long are you planning to be out there this year?If you have never backpacked, renting or borrowing is great. But, remember the stuff they rent is meant to last through many tough uses. It's heavy. You are asking on a long distance hikers site so I believe that you want to eventually be out on long trails. In my opinion, most large equipment :tents ,backpacks sleeping pads,  etc are over, built. I think,try to get a pack that is until 3lbs if you rent. Same for a tent. The misery that most backpackers go through is because the weight on their back makes them that way. I don't care what anyone says you can't engineer a heavy backpack,tent--and make it zero gravity. More and more you will encounter thruhikers working in the major outdoor stores. Ask for one. Still, remember that's how they do it. This is my opinion ---not how you might like to do a trail
Until you feel comfortable just go safe. Put up the rental stuff in your back yard or the local park. See how it works. I took my first gear--stove,tent,backpack one mile in on a trail and saw how it all worked. Saw how I worked when I was cold...at altitude...unsure.
Then I went in 3 miles cause there was a lake I wanted to see. Next 7 miles. Next 4 days on the AT. Next ---thru hike the AT
Next --changed my life so that I could spend my life thruhiking. Watch out!!!
As you try gear out you'll see what you actually want. I mess around with my gear even now. New stuff comes out every year. That light strong gear (not bomb proof-or abuse proof)is available on line. Just things like how large to you need the outside pockets to be ,will something you learn when you start putting your stuff in the pack. If you live any where  near any of the rucks,trail days,Gatherings,that happen in the spring and fall you will be able to try on(do it with weight inside ) light packs,get into light  tents   In the west the Wolverines will go through people's packs. Just watching that is useful.
Go onto the ALDHA or ALDHAWEST sites.
Very soon you will be the expert on what is right for you.
I'm someone picks up most of my hiking clothing on sale or in 2nd hand stores. I only buy new shoes(trail running shoes),socks,undergarments,  I wear most stuff for years. Wore the same shorts for 8,000 miles then retired them. Still wearing the same fleece top 16,000 miles later. I'm sure others will have more and different suggestions. It will eventually get less confusing.
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone