[pct-l] Ethical goose down?

River Malcolm rivermary at centurylink.net
Thu May 19 05:24:14 CDT 2016

Dear Diet Plan and others,

I was moved by this discussion about humane harvesting of goose down. It is difficult to walk a morally pure and perfect trail through the wilderness of civilized human life (maybe a few have: Jesus, Buddha, etc. and millions try with varying success to find and follow their footsteps). But I am always inspired when I meet people willing to make the effort.

I have little to add to this discussion other than gratitude ( I had failed to even raise the question in my awareness and was deeply grateful to see that zpacks, a fine small cottage industry in so many ways,has done its best to find cruelty-free down. )

But I do want to add that roast goose is something I have often heard of in Europe and even in America as a turkey equivalent for holiday meals. Here is a wiki article if you are interested.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roast_goose

I also want to tell the story of my grandfather. In midlife while wrestling with TB (and losing a daughter to the disease) he underwent a conversion experience -- away from his literal Christianity to his own brand of Unitarian Universalism, to ethical vegetarianism and to belief that organized labor should be an equal partner with management in the business world (a rare view for an owner-manager). He was however in the shoe business, and rationalized his use of leather as an otherwise wasted by-product of the meat industry. As a young girl I accused him of hypocrisy. As a woman growing older (68), I marvel at his willingness to take risks and attempt a moral trail however imperfect.

Thanks for giving me a chance to write about him. His name was Henry Nunn. He wrote two books. The whole Man Goes to Work and Partners in Production. He would be very proud of me for section-hiking most of the PCT since my 2013 retirement. He would be disappointed that I gave up vegetarianism in my mid-thirties (because I believed it added to my tendency to isolate and estrange myself from other humans and so involved a conflict between moral goods), but he'd still love and support me however imperfect.

Thanks for listening
River