[pct-l] Definitions

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Thu May 19 11:20:40 CDT 2016

Didn't think that some terms needed to defined,but because of a recent incident, I thought I would talk about "hiker boxes. A hiker box is a designated box (usually found in a hostel,post office motel or small store) in which hikers leave unwanted food and gear for those behind them. They are usually clearly marked and pointed out. The animal proof boxes (metal or wood usually)at campgrounds(commercial,
Forest service,backcountry etc) are NOT hiker boxes. If you take food from them you are taking someone else's food. Especially if that food is in a stuff sac or zip lock bag or paper sack!
Have a great hike
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone