[pct-l] Ethical goose down?

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Sun May 22 22:11:53 CDT 2016

Okay, let's talk about Petroleum and carbon footprints:

Were you aware that meat and meat products have one of the highest Carbon
Footprints?  As a vegan, I could own a plane, and a huge SUV to belch
petroleum fumes all over the world and would still leave a smaller Carbon
Footprint than someone who routinely eats meat, consumes meat products but
rides a bicycle.

It takes 26 lbs of grain to produce one lb of meat.  This can vary from
animal to animal slightly.  So this involves all the production, water and
petroleum costs to produce 26 lbs. of grain.  Then, you also have to get
the animals to market, slaughter and to the grocery store.  One pound of
grain has about 1600 kcals.  So a vegan only eats the equivalent of
approximately 2 lbs of grain (or plants) a day.  Therefore, the food for my
entire day has a similar carbon footprint as 1/13th of a lb of meat.  Doing
the math, I think that equals about one ounce of cheese, one egg or a
small, thin deli slice of meat for your sandwich.

Furthermore, our rainforests are being decimated every year to make room
for cattle and farm animals.  Millions of acres are being destroyed.
Historically, humans never ate as much meat as we eat today.  The world
with our booming population growth is starting to adopt our voracious
appetite for meat.  Removing our rainforests is having a devastating effect
on our ozone layers and global warming as trees have a huge capacity to
buffer our Carbon output.  Eating meat and consuming meat products are
speeding up the process of global warming.

It doesn't stop there!  You can see factory farms and slaughterhouses from
space!  They leave huge cesspools of waste and excrement. This contaminates
our water supplies.  Because we feed our animals huge quantities of
hormones and antibiotics, we are also putting this into our water system.
The huge animal use of antibiotics is creating a super bug that cannot even
be killed by our current antibiotics.  We are breeding a superbug that
could potentially wipe out the human race.  The industry HAS to use
antibiotics as there is no other way to cram thousands of animals into a
tiny space and not get sick.

Factory farms are far removed from the "Charlotte's Web" version of
farming.  Money is the bottom line, which has forced animals into a cruel
tortuous existence.  It is now a horrible, horrible industry!  According to
regulation, a chicken only needs a 1' square area to live.  This is absurd!

If you wish to limit your petroleum consumption and lessen your carbon
footprint the most dramatic way is a vegan or plant based lifestyle.  There
is just no way to remain "smug" about your petroleum consumption and carbon
footprint if you eat meat.

Diet Plan