[pct-l] Good uses for "Dead Hiker Husbands"

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat May 28 13:14:15 CDT 2016

SWITCHBACK,
Big Hummel is gone,...AsABat is gone,...and now Baltimore Jack is gone.
They all were much younger than you and I.
That made me realize, you and I, we are getting old.
I mean you and I, we started hiking long before the current crop was born.
My hiking career started in the USMC in 1964, where hiking is a way of life,
not a recreation.
I remember first climbing Mt. Whitney, after the USMC, way back in 1968 and
have been hiking ever since.

We are part of the "dying hard core breed".....an "endangered species".

Did you ever wonder what will become of us after we pass away?
Will they bury us, put flowers on our graves and mourn for decades to come,
or will they rejoice and say good riddance?
Will they erect a monument to us or engrave on our head stones....here lie
Switchback and Reinhold....the last of the hard core breed, who tamed the
wilderness, or will they put our bodies to a good use?

For those women that can't let go and want to cling to the memories...
10 GOOD USES  FOR DEAD  HIKER  HUSBANDS.

   1.   Good scratching post for the cat
   2.   Handy chin-up bar
   3.   Punching bag
   4.   Bumper stop