[pct-l] Microspikes vs. Hiking Crampons??

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Nov 9 12:51:03 CST 2016

And you’re absolutely right, Scott!

If you will be walking on steep, consolidated (hard, frozen), springtime snow in the tracks of others, microspikes are the way to go!

If you want to make your own trail on these surface conditions, hiking crampons are safer.

You’ve got to know the snow surface conditions that you’ll be walking into, how to make wise decisions about your route and time of day to be walking on the snow, and how to stay balanced and maximize traction to prevent slip-and-falls. This may sound like a lot of worry, but once you get to know this beautiful aspect of mountain life, it becomes second-nature, your confidence soars, and you can go wherever you want within your skills abilities (no trails or awkward scrambling to limit your exploring).

Ned Tibbits, Director

Mountain Education, Inc.