[pct-l] Weather watch now, Class of '17

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Sep 14 21:25:18 CDT 2016

Listen to what Ned is saying gang,....Ned knows what he is talking about.

He is the expert when it comes to hiking in snow.

The only thing I would like to point out is that I always prefer and

recommend getting through the Sierra by the end of September.

The Sierra, because of its elevation, is a different kind of a beast.

It can snow in the Sierra at any time of the year, even in the middle

of summer...I have gotten snowed on in the Sierra in the middle of

the summer on more than one occasion.

However, after September, the chance of new snow in the Sierra

increases drastically, changes the whole equation, and you better be

prepared for serious snow hiking.

Scott Williamson, with 14 PCT thru-hikes (16 counting section hikes),

including 2 PCT yo-yo thru-hikes, and 3 prior PCT speed records, the

undeniable, unquestionable, indisputable "KING" of the PCT had to

bail out and abandon 2 other yo-yo attempts, in prior years, because

he got back  to the Sierra to late, after it already started snowing, on

his way back to the Mexican border.

Like I said, the equation changes dramatically ones it starts snowing

in the Sierra....that is why I prefer to get through the Sierra before

October.

JMT Reinhold

  [pct-l] Weather watch now, Class of '17

*ned at mountaineducation.org*ned at
mountaineducation.org<mailto:pct-l%40backcountry.net?Subject=Re%3A%20%5Bpct-l%5D%20Weather%20watch%20now%2C%20Class%20of%20%2717&In-Reply-To=%3C0fb001d20eaa%249f7d64b0%24de782e10%24%40mountaineducation.org%3E>
/Wed Sep 14 12:08:32 CDT 2016/

Class of '17!

I want you to pay attention to the weather this September-November because,
for the majority of you, these are the months in which you'll be ending your
thru hikes next year. Watch, now, to be ready, then.

Doesn't matter whether you are planning on going NoBo or SoBo, watch how the
weather comes in this fall and how the high country along the PCT
transitions to winter. What you see this year, you may experience next year.
(Of course, this is not always true, but be aware, nonetheless, to help make
your planning decisions).

The points are,
- NoBo: Get to Manning by mid-September and
- SoBo: Get through the Sierra by mid-November

to avoid cold, wet, and maybe deep powder snow keeping you from your dream
of completing a thru hike of the Pacific Crest Trail.

The premise is this,
- Fall and winter weather bring cold, lots of damp, and maybe freezing rain
or powder snow. The human body does not do well in this environment without
help and that needs to be anticipated by having an awareness of it. If you
spend too much time while NoBo along the trail in the south and find
yourself way behind schedule, these conditions can and have stopped many a
thru hiker just shy of their goal after working towards it for months.

If you want a fun and successful thru hike, among many things, know what
you're up against and prepare for them, know your self and why you're there,
practice the skills required to overcome expected adversity and challenge
(personal/internal and environmental/external), and take lots of
progressively longer hikes, ending with one that is as exposed as the PCT
and long enough to require a resupply (3 weeks).

You will be hearing more advice from me as your start dates get nearer, as I
want all of you to have the fun and safe life-changing wilderness journeys
you hope for, but those come with planning grounded in reality! I will be
talking more about the "Realities of the Trail" over the next few months.

Ned Tibbits, Director

Mountain Education, Inc.

ned at mountaineducation.org