[pct-l] Permits 2017

Cody B moonbeams13 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 13:25:43 CDT 2016

James,

I agree that the system needs improvements, particularly surrounding alpine
environments which take much longer to rebound from environmental impact
than most ecosystems at lower elevations. This is one of those annoying
little intersections of science and policy that will probably never have a
perfect solution and requires an ever-evolving approach. The Southern
Terminus permit limit is a good starting point because it addresses the
majority of hikers and doesn't dictate things like how fast one has to
move. It is minimally intrusive to people's plans compared to quotas that
may be implemented along the way. I think that there are a couple ways this
could be approached in the Sierra, perhaps by utilizing semi-flexible
permitting for that section (say ability to enter within a certain range of
dates depending upon your hiking speed cuz as we all know, things never go
according to plan), but there is still a lot of work that needs to be done
before a mid-way restriction could be responsibly implemented.

Wikipedia